Re: [LUG] Wireless LAN (OT?)

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 17:16 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:41:33 +0000
> Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 05 Nov 2005 15:58, Grant Sewell wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Grant
> >
> > Thanks, I think I can see where I am going now.  The lady on the phone was
> > however quite adamant!
> >
> > Very simply I see my "black box " as being a wireless hub daisy chained with
> > CAT5 onto my ADSL Network Router thing.  Which is where your links lead me.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Peter
>
> No problems Peter.  Basically, you want a single router to be at the "outside
> edge" of your network, ie it joins you to The Internet.  Routers can have multiple
> interfaces, but you can get away with just 2: 1 for ADSL and 1 for Ethernet.  For
> a cabled network you would ordinarily connect multiple machines (or "hosts", or
> "nodes") to a "switch" which you can then connect to the router.  For a wireless
> network, the WAP (Wireless Access Point) takes on the role the role of the switch
> (plus a few other fancy features).  Access Points often have only 2 interfaces: 1
> wireless (which can accomodate multiple concurrant wireless users) and 1 Ethernet.
>  There is nothing to stop you from connecting a WAP to a switch, which then
> connects to the router, thus enabling both wired and wireless network
> communication.
>
> If this was a new network installation, then it may have payed to go for a
> wireless router since you can reduce the number of discreet network devices, and
> potentially reduce the cost.  However, when you look at what these wireless
> routers do, they are generally just ordinary 3 devices in 1 box: a router, switch
> and WAP.  Since this isn't a new network, it would make better sense to go for a
> WAP rather than having another router.
>
> Hope this clears up networking at least a little.
>
> Grant.
>
> --

I have just bought a laptop with wireless and bluetooth, as i already
have a bluetooth dongle i set up a PAN, with instructions from
http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN

I use Gentoo 64bit but also had it running on suse 9.1 on another
machine.

Did buy a higher spec bluetooth dongle with a range of 150m.

Hope this helps

--
Darren Ward <tecknow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>