Re: [LUG] Wireless LAN (OT?)

Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

> I am thinking of getting a Laptop with built in wireless.

Do check the chipset is well supported, I've heard of the odd Linux box
getting a Prism PCMCIA card plugged in because the onboard wireless
wasn't supported (or not well enough).

> However I have a wired LAN here.  The advice I got was that I must change all
> my stuff to wireless and get a wireless router.
>
> I would have thought that there was a "black box" on the market that plugged
> into my normal Router, using one of the CAT 5 sockets, and that my wireless
> Laptop could talk to the network through that.  Unfortunately unless someone
> knows differently, that does not appear to be the case.

As discussed already, Wireless Access Points were designed to plug into
Ethernet networks to extend that "ethernet" beyond the wire in a
transparent fashion.

Of course the security issues with WEP make that a silly way of
configuring any large corporate network. Although me, I leave my network
at home wide open so the neighbours can use it is their Internet
connection is playing up.

It helps to have a feel for how WAPs were designed to be deployed in big
corporate networks, with several WAPs in the same wired network,
allowing roaming between wireless access points for laptop users. But of
course the existing corporate wired LAN had to be preserved.

That isn't to say someone might not have made a device that mandates
wireless everywhere, but I've never seen one.