Re: [LUG] Setting up WebDAV on Apache2?

Grant Sewell wrote:

> Now, my webserver is running Apache2, which I'm told does WebDAV
> quite nicely.

Nice enough for calendars from Mozilla, Microsoft Windows XP has other
ideas about how good it is alas.

> Has anyone here set up WebDAV using Apache2?

Yes.

Okay first master Apache authentication, and create a passwd file with
basic auth (or others if you like). I've called mine passwd_webdav
because I lack imagination.

htpasswd -c /usr/somedir/passwd_webdav someusername

Then add something like.

 Alias /webdav /home/someuser/webdav
    <Directory /home/someuser/webdav>
        DAV On
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Webdav Store"
        AuthUserFile  /home/someuser/passwd_webdav
        Require valid-user
    </Directory>

To the relevant virtual host.

You'll need the relevant modules, and to ensure the permissions are
right for the lock file, but that is one "apt-get" and a couple of
"a2enmod" commands under Debian, the permissions on the lock file being
done by Debian maintainers.

$ls /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/
cgi.load  dav_fs.conf  include.load  perl.load  php4.load
dav.load  dav_fs.load  perl.conf     php4.conf

The dav and dav_fs are the required ones for this.

Test with "cadaver" which is like using an FTP client.

It really is very simple, the only complexity comes with trying to get
MS Windows (and Gnome Nautilus) to interoperate nicely with it, WebDav
itself is laughably easy to set up.