Re: [LUG] mp3 and ogg

On Saturday 29 October 2005 10:03 pm, paul sutton wrote:
> I am sure you can do that with Linux,. in the same way windows converts
> into mp3 or wmf format

As I said, you *can* but you are likely to be disappointed by the final
quality.

These are lossy conversions but each method loses slightly different parts of
the original. Therefore converting mp3 to ogg means that some of the parts
lost in the mp3 conversion will not be present in the ogg as they would be
when you create the ogg from the original source.

Apparently, the difference can be quite noticeable - especially at high volume
(as in a car with lots of background noise).

--

Neil Williams