Re: [LUG] Major distress call ....

John Botwright wrote:

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:22:36PM +0100, Tom Brough wrote:
John Botwright wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 08:10:08PM +0100, Tom Brough wrote:

Its as simple as that.... 2 servers is all I'm asking preferable at least 1Ghz processor / 1 Gbyte memory and some decent disk space.
Hope I don't sound too pessimistic, but what happens if the psu in the
server dies? Wouldn't it be better to have all the units standalone?

Nop just buy another PSU. But I appreciate its a single point of failure. Id like three servers one for standby but I have nt got time or money to be fussy. 30 x Install, updates / maint. vs. 1 server 1 software set, infinate number of users, plus the sustainability factor, sure you may need to replace or augment the servers, but the terminals will go on running .... and running and running.... no mater how much the software gets bloated, isnt that worth doing ?

Technically there is no reason why a terminal shouldnt last a 30+ years.

Already Im running into problems installing a "low profile" debian based gui on the first G6-300 because it only has 2Gb drive. If I had the terminal servers I wouldnt even need to try.

As for the adminstrator at the other end, Im sure he/she would prefer to have one machine to maintain rather than 30.

L - for long life
T - for Tried and tested
S - for sustainable
P - for Perfect (well nearly)

Besides I would be interested in knowing how you are going to maintain and syncronise hundreds of user accounts across 30 isolated systems. No you need a network and central adminstration, which means a server, which means a single point of failure. So the risk is equivalent on a traditional network or an LTSP, and totally unworkable on a standalone model.

Do the research, and try it out for yourself , then you might find out why there is no need to be pessimistic :-)

If your intention is to provide a standalone computer for someone who "stands alone" then use a standalone configuration. If you want to provide a clustered desktop in a classroom, training room or office environment then seriously consider LTSP. As the americans say it gives you more bang for your buck.

Any offers of servers please post me of group.

Thanks.

Tom.

... If I dont get the servers I will have to slave away for the next 30 days installing debian on each one individually (Yuck (not debian just the thought of installing so may boxes)).

Try http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/ it has information on
sutomated debian installation for hundreds of PCs at a time.

Hi Tom
Sorry my bad. I was under the impression this was for underpriveliged
schools, those who do not have access to computer hardware, so I was
worried about availability of spares when something breaks.I agree thin clients are
the way to go for administration - good luck on your quest and well done for getting
linux on the map :)

As an aside, on the issue of disk space ; it is not unheard of to mount
/usr from nfs. Maybe give that a try if you don't get the LTSP servers
in time. You should be able to get away with a slow pc serving files
instead of cycles.

Cheers,
John

You are quite right it is for "underpriveliged", although I would prefer to say "under resourced" and there is always the danger that something will break. But the guy in Kumbo who is looking after this has technical skills and more importantly is enthusiatic and optomistic and knows what he is up against.

If I stopped to put a whole support structure in place before rolling out the first computer, then I would be IBM, HP or someone like that and I would want massive returns on investment. Thats not my game here, Im just trying to give people equal access to computers. I think I know a way of doing it and I am going for it. Yes some may think it foolish, but if 30 kids in Africa have 30 minutes access to a working computer and it all goes wrong, I will still be happy that this is 15 hours exposure more than they have had in a lifetime.

Of course if you want to become my cheif hardware support officer on the project the vacancy is open :-), but it dont pay nothing

Thanks for the moral support is good to have, donation of appropriate equipment is always welcome.

Im using nfs for /home but /usr is a little more tricky, as my test server has the same disk capacity as my test client (at the moment) there is not much to gain. Im just praying for thoes Servers to turn up. Because the real headache is authorisation, and authentication setup, and Ive fogeten how to do things like LDAP NFS DHCP and SMB

Thanks again for your support. Appologies for the bad spelling and gramer, typing faster than I can think, must go now things to do :-)

Thanks again.

Tom.