Re: [LUG] suse console ttys

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:32:27 +0100
Thomas Arrow wrote:

> Hi,
> I as usual have a problem. On my suse 9.3 install when I press Ctrl +
> Alt and F1-6 i get a screen with funny patterns on. Before I set X to
> use the nvidia drivers and before X loads I could see the console ttys
> (at least i think thats what they are called). I don't have I clue how
> to fix this as I need the nvidia drivers for playing games but having
> the console ttys would be very helpful. I can still run commands from
> these if I log in but this must all be done blindly.
> Any help great fully received.
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Don't know if this is of any help, but I used to have the same issues with Mandrake
and my nVidia card (with the nVidia drivers).  It only occured when I booted
Mandrake graphically, in that you have the nice pretty GUI wrapper hiding the boot
information.  The actual bootloader didn't make any difference (LiLo or GRUB) nor
did it matter if the bootloader itself was graphical.  But if I chose to allow
Mandrake to boot using that fancy screen, I could kiss goodbye to using the ttys.

I only found 2 ways to get around this issue:
 1) Stop using the nVidia drivers.
 2) Stop using a GUI boot.

There should be an option somewhere in YaST2 to change this.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.