Re: [LUG] Major distress call ....

Tom Brough wrote:

Your mission should you wish to accept it ........

There is a ship leaving Felixstowe with a 20ft container pack full of second hand computers bound for the Cameroon. I have pledged to find 30 units (system units, keyboards, mouse and monitor) in 30 days time .... Yes Im mad and I should know better but this is an opportunity to put Linux on the map (at least in Kumbo Cameroon).

So cut to the chase Tom ..... I need 2 servers that are capable of supporting 14 X-terminals each, so that 2 complete sets (30 units in all) can be sent to Kumbo and deployed in 2 very lucky schools. Yes some schools will miss out, but at least there will be a lottery instead on nothing.

Its as simple as that.... 2 servers is all I'm asking preferable at least 1Ghz processor / 1 Gbyte memory and some decent disk space.

The ship will sail on the 14 November with or without the pledged computers.

If I get the two servers it makes my life easier because I will configure K12LTSP and getting the terminals ready will be easy. If I dont get the servers I will have to slave away for the next 30 days installing debian on each one individually (Yuck (not debian just the thought of installing so may boxes)).

So Please Please Please Please Please (im on my knees right now) Please Please Please Please help if you can.

Thankyou

Tom. (the older).

Not sure if it's worth trying, but have you considered contacting local newspapers to see if any IT companies could donate some old kit.

Unfortunately I haven't got anything that sort of spec going spare, only thing I have is a Celeron 300A on a Socket 370 board, and it doesn't have any memory.

I will ask at work to see if any kind hearted staff would consider donating any old kit, as the publicity for the company would be good, or at least thats how I could put it to them.

Rob