Re: [LUG] suse console ttys

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:59:08 +0100
Thomas Arrow wrote:

> James Wonnacott wrote:
> >Don't know how to fix it- but a work-around could be to use a terminal in X:-
> >Don't know which ones come with suse but there'll be one there somewhere.
>
> Well thanks but im already doing that. It is useful when your playing a
> game or something else and X crashes so you can get to a console and
> restart X. Doing it blindly is not very fun at all. I also noticed it
> does this on the schools linux box with Debian so any others ideas maybe
> possible as it does not use nvidia drivers.
> --
> Tom (the younger)

Hi again.

Have you thought about using the SAK?  If you press <ALT>+<SysRq>+<K> then it'll
kill everything that was running on a particular tty (usually tty7 for X).
Depending on the setup, you'll either then have to restart X manually or it'll do it
automagically itself.

For more information on SAK:
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=SAK&btnG=Search

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.