[LUG] apt-get, synaptic and gaim

I've been trying to install gaim on my system.  I'm not a big
user of IM thingies, but I am in the process of converting my
brother over to a linux system and the main thing he uses
his PC for is msn messenging.

A quick search on IM software for linux revealed the existence
of gaim, and I thought I'd have a go installing this on my own
PC first.  I have occassionally used YIM and ICQ in the past.

My first attempt was to try and use the synaptic package
manager, and indeed gaim was listed there when I searched.
When I clicked it, it came up with the dependencies window
as normal, but when I said okay to this, synaptic crashed.
It does this every time I try to select gaim.  It doesn't appear
to do it when selecting anything else.

Next I tried downloading the tar.gz, but this didn't install
correctly for some reason, complaining about dependencies
of various things.

Next I tried apt-get update, followed by apt-get install gaim,
and this seemed to do something, but it appears to be failing
to download.  I've had a lot of problems with the blueyonder
debian mirror and was wondering if anyone can recommend
a different one, and also how I can change the mirrors that
synaptic and apt-get use?

I confess I'm still a little confused by all this, but I am learning.
I think apt-get will be by far the simplest method now I
understand a bit about what its doing and how to use it, but
I am still a novice with it really...

Anton