Re: [LUG] Securing SSH

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 11:36 +0100, David Johnson wrote:

> > discovered that my server was being targeted by a dictionary attack via SSH
>
> I think there are lots of people, myself included, receiving similar attacks
> at the moment - I don't worry about it, since I know everything uses secure
> passwords (maybe one day I'll regret not worrying about it, but for now...).

very likely, I'd say.

I think this is a coordinated attack, and probably working form a
database and contributing to it.

I used IPTABLES and the router's firewall and blocked wide swathes of
the Internet from passing anything to port 22, and set specific allowed
addresses.

ssh is only open to the remainder of the world when I am away and don't
know where I shall want to ssh back home from.

> Lots of people use public key-based authentication, which should be much more
> secure than password-based. See:
> http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/security/ssh/client-pkauth/

thanks.