Re: [LUG] Securing SSH

On Monday 03 October 2005 11:11, Philip Radford wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with configuring and
> securing the SSH daemon from unauthorised access. I have recently
> discovered that my server was being targeted by a dictionary attack via SSH

I think there are lots of people, myself included, receiving similar attacks
at the moment - I don't worry about it, since I know everything uses secure
passwords (maybe one day I'll regret not worrying about it, but for now...).

> on Port 22 and therefore got me thinking about ways to restrict by IP
> address or even not to use remote SSH login via the root login at all and
> access the server via alternative means.

Lots of people use public key-based authentication, which should be much more
secure than password-based. See:
http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/security/ssh/client-pkauth/

Regards,
David.