Re: [LUG] Exeter Meeting 27th October - agenday ideas

paul sutton wrote:
> One of the things that was brought up recently on chat was
>
> Recompiling the kernel
> Optimising Linux
> Securing Linux

> Not sure also but given there are so many distros out there, would it be
> a good idea to focus any such talks on one specific distro, e.g debian,
> that way it's easier to write notes, handouts,  we can always discuss
> how to do the same with other distros, at a later meeting.

Debian users do kernel recompiling quite differently, because some nice
hacker produced kernel-package, this means there is a "four step"
process to go through to produce your own kernel packages from the other
Debian packages.

I assume by now there is something similar for other distros, as I can't
believe someone clever hasn't been forced to migrate to Redhat from
Debian, and gone "where are the kernel packaging tools".

Either way in the middle, you have to modify the magic ".config" file,
which is common to everyone, and is the difficult bit. Any of our kernel
hackets want to explain initrd and .config to people?

I'm happy to talk about securing Linux to the extent I can.

My experience of optimising performance is limited. but I'll happily
discuss trials and tribulations with optimising I/O performance, most of
which is common across most computer systems, although there are some
Linux specific bits. I think for many people I/O is now the bottleneck,
and it is one of those areas with plenty of scope for simple diagrams,
and people having inappropriate defaults.