Re: [LUG] Using Synaptic

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:35:34 +0100
Ray Smith wrote:

> I have installed knoppix debian  to harddisk and updated. downloaded synaptic.When
> I try to run I am told to use as root but cant connect to the display 0:0 . Other
> programs Í installed using apt run ok.
> Any help please ?
>
> Ray.
> Sent wirelessly using P910i.

Hi Ray,

The issue isn't that Synaptic was installed via apt.  The issue is that Synaptic is
an X application that needs to be run as root, and your setup will only allow 1 user
to run X applications - since root is not *that* user, root is not allowed to start
X applications.

You could try using gksu or kdesu to launch Synaptic:

user:~ gksu synaptic
-- OR --
user:~ kdesu synaptic

Grant.