Re: [LUG] ClamAV - scanning

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 01:21:04 +0100
Mark wrote:

> On Friday 02 Sep 2005 00:49, David Bell wrote:
> > Is it necessary to scan the whole system on a regular basis, if at all?
> >
> >  i.e.          clamscan -r /
> >

> > /home/neurosis :)
>
> Personally, I am under the impression that clamav is more useful for a network
> which also includes Windows machines  - as Linux viruses are virtually
> non-existant, apart from a few theoretical ones and a couple of specifc
> targetted ones for servers.
> Probably more useful is a rootkit detector in a single Linux machine with web
> access.
> At least thats the principle I have always worked on.
> Mark

Mark is right, but if your machine is running as a mailserver to which Windows boxes
will connect, you may want to run ClamAV against your mail directories.  However,
most mail systems now support "on the fly" scanning by applications such as ClamAV,
which would therefore negate the need for generalistic scans in your crontab.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.