Re: [LUG] new USB devices

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Not quite sure but with me:
>
> - Create a mount point (ie a directory)
> - Mount the drive to that directory
>
> The mount command I used (as root: I have not been worked out how to
> mount it as a user) is
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usbHD

To mount as a user read the docs for "fstab", if all you want is to
allow "mount/umount", no need to be root.

Recent versions of GNOME should just open an appropriate file viewer
when hotplug USB devices are plugged into Debian Sarge (or better). i.e.
a camera should get you a photo utility, a memory stick a file viewer.
You may need an extra group security permission, I forget, but it'll say
in the documentation.

Similarly inserting an audio CD or (video) DVD should get you a media
player, not a file viewer. If this doesn't happen you haven't configured
it right, or you have odd preferences ;)

"apt-get install gnome-volume-manager" is, I think, the magic command if
you Debian desktop doesn't do this, but you may need to download a fair
bit to make the magic happen if your Sarge is currently a boringly
vanilla 2.4.27 (heck 2.4.27 is over a year old - get with this 2.6 stuff
;).

Although I think you can make magic happen with 2.4.27 as well if you
really want to.

If people send me more USB toys I'll write more in the way of
explanation ;)

 Simon, whose USB camera isn't simple USB storage, nor PPTP (or whatever
overloaded acronym the camera protocol is) :(

PS: Adrian if lsusb isn't telling you nicely formatted description, try
update-usbids, doesn't fix anything, but may make the description of why
it doesn't work that much more readable ;)