Re: [LUG] how to install Debian on mcahine with no CD?

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:19:46 +0100, Neil Williams
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Friday 26 August 2005 11:07 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:30:40 +0100
>> Neil Williams wrote:
>> >
>> > That's a big difference in storage capacity, can you fit what you want in
>> > 2Gb? Is noise such a problem that you don't want a hard drive?
>>
>> As I understand it, CF is not an ideal solution for something where the
>> stored data is going to be changing frequently.  If the system is going to
>> be static (ie a firewall) then it'd be fine, but for a desktop system where
>> the "drive" will be written to with great frequency, then the life
>> expectancy of the "drive" will be greatly reduced if you use CF.
>
>So it really depends on what kinds of websites you are envisaging hosting,
>Dave. Static HTML would still cause a fair bit of activity in /var/ (maybe
>you could mount that on different media?) but it could get complex if you
>want large sites or lots of dynamic content. Keep the entire thing in RAM and
>it should be OK - I think Grant is right, if you let it use swap space on CF
>or if you mount /var/ on CF the CF isn't going to like it!

looks like the 30Gb HD is the way to go, I can then put my Ogg's on
it, and use it to backup the files on my main workstation too.

The main driver for this machine is to reduce my electricity bill!
200 watts running 24/7 adds up, this machine is only 50 watt.

many thanks
Dave
--
http://www.morgad.no-ip.info/index.html    gpg:0x64B5E037