Re: [LUG] how to install Debian on mcahine with no CD?

On Friday 26 August 2005 8:46 pm, dave morgan wrote:
> I am considering replacing my pair of Compaq Deskpro's with one of
> these http://www.cappuccinopc.com/lt-5000.asp (webserver / ntp server
> / local rate-limiting firewall + access control / squid proxy server)
>
> But how would I initially install Linux on it (no CD or floppy) ?

Anything that can hold a boot image and which the device recognises as
bootable - compact flash could do it in this case, or USB. Then proceed with
a network install over the LAN connection.

All you really need is the ability to write to whichever device you choose
using another Linux machine that can download the netinstall boot image from
the Debian website - plus enough space on the device.

> and do I order with 30Gb 2.5" HD or the 2Gb Compactflash?

That's a big difference in storage capacity, can you fit what you want in 2Gb?
Is noise such a problem that you don't want a hard drive?

--

Neil Williams