Re: [LUG] Quicktime ... err err

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:32:12 +0100
M.Blackmore wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 23:58 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > What kind of media is this?
>
> It's a .wma file. The "w" makes me think its some sort of windows
> format. I'm completely clueless on playable media, just never got around
> to learning anything about it due to lack of time and v. dodgy health
> and kids to look after...

WMA = Windows Media Audio.  It uses Microsoft's "Advanced Streaming Format" (ASF) to
store video and/or audio data.  It is quite playable, but not necessarily by all
players (although this may be due to an error on my part) depending on version.  I
have had no problems playing WMA or WMV files using ASF versions upto and including
8.x, however version 9.0 (and any above that... I don't know what the latest is)
doesn't play using mplayer on my system... but it does seem to play using KDE's
default player (I forget what it is called, and I have lost my KDE menus at the
moment).

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.