Re: [LUG] Realplayer summary

Problem: on Debian Sarge:

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 11:22:01AM +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> Realplayer is working perfectly for me now on my home system with
> Firefox. I gave up with Helix player for the minute. So this is a
> summary of the install.
>
> Download www.real.com/linux/
>
> Its binary only so thats i386 compatability only. (Where as helix is
> opensource and so can be rebuilt for other ARCH's)
>
> firstly download the RealPlayer10Gold.bin file
>
> chmod +x RealPlayer10Gold.bin
>
> Ensure firefox and/or mozilla is installed before running the realplayer
> setup
>
> and run
>
> ./RealPlayer10Gold.bin
>
> For system wide install at the options set the folder to
> /usr/local/RealPlayer or whatever you want.

Installed in $HOME/.realplayer

> edit /etc/profile and add to the PATH line real players path (example
> taken from my system)
>
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/RealPlayer"

Added
> logout and back in, jobs done.

Logged out and logged back in

> In firefox go to the following URL
>
> about:plugsins
>
> and check for "Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible"
Installed
Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version 0.4.0.552
built with gcc 3.2.0 on May 13 2005
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin     RealPlayer Plugin Metafile      rpm
Yes

> The go to bbc.co.uk/news and watch the video news :-)

I get the following error message "could not find an appropriate hxplay
or realplay in the system path to use as an embedded player" and then
when I click ok; firefox closes

I get the same message when I try and listen to the radio
(www.bbc.co.uk/radio) but then firefox continues

Went to the bbc site http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_nix.shtml
and will try some of the suggestions there.

If I want to uninstall RealPlayer and start again installing it as root,
how do I uninstall?

Henry