Re: [LUG] Realplayer summary

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:22:01 +0100
Robin Cornelius wrote:

> Realplayer is working perfectly for me now on my home system with
> Firefox. I gave up with Helix player for the minute. So this is a
> summary of the install.
>
> Download www.real.com/linux/
>
> Its binary only so thats i386 compatability only. (Where as helix is
> opensource and so can be rebuilt for other ARCH's)
>
> firstly download the RealPlayer10Gold.bin file
>
> chmod +x RealPlayer10Gold.bin
>
> Ensure firefox and/or mozilla is installed before running the realplayer
> setup
>
> and run
>
> ./RealPlayer10Gold.bin
>
> For system wide install at the options set the folder to
> /usr/local/RealPlayer or whatever you want.
>
> edit /etc/profile and add to the PATH line real players path (example
> taken from my system)
>
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/RealPlayer"
>
> logout and back in, jobs done.
>
> In firefox go to the following URL
>
> about:plugsins
>
> and check for "Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible"
>
> The go to bbc.co.uk/news and watch the video news :-)
>
> Robin

Thanks for the install guide.  I'll have another look at that soon... got an old
version of RealPlayer installed at the moment.

Have you, by any chance, managed to get mplayer to stream Real Media files through
RTSP?  I have installed mplayer, live.com's rtsp plugin for mplayer, and realplayer
(so I have the codecs) but I can't get them to talk nicely.

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.