Re: [LUG] Debian v BusBi Memstick

David Bell wrote:

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 20:15, David Johnson wrote:
Did Linux see it and just not mount it, did it see it and not have a driver
for it or did it not even notice that it had been plugged in? USB storage
should work on *every* distro, but not all will automatically mount the
device.

I did a cat and it (busbi) was present. I tried mount but was told it does not exist in /etc/fstab.

The light on the stick should stay on when the stick is plugged in
not merely flash.
So this looks to me like a hotplug/ auto mounting issue. I had a
similar problem with my stick.

Plug the stick in, open a console and type

lsusb

This should show the stick listed with the other usb devices on your
system. If it aint there then look in etc/hotplug/usb to see if you have
a file called usb-storage and it's executable. Also look at etc/modules
to see if the usb-storage module is listed there.

As others have pointed out etc/fstab should contain the following line

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat user, noauto, umask=0 0 0

If I have the time I'll try to post the modified usb-storage script I used
to get auto mounting/hotplugging working on my system. But as I'm
moving house very soon don't expect an immediate reply.

Keith