Re: [LUG] Debian v BusBi Memstick

On Tuesday 16 Aug 2005 20:25, David Bell wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 20:15, David Johnson wrote:
> > Did Linux see it and just not mount it, did it see it and not have a
> > driver for it or did it not even notice that it had been plugged in? USB
> > storage should work on *every* distro, but not all will automatically
> > mount the device.
>
> I did a cat and it (busbi) was present.  I tried mount but was told it does
> not exist in /etc/fstab.

Mounting it as root with something like -

mount -t  vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/yourmountpoint

should work.
If it does, then you can add an entry to the fstab file - something like -

/dev/sda1 /mnt/yourmountpoint vfat rw,exec,noauto,users   0     0

where obviously, yourmountpoint is the location in /mnt you have created for
the device to be mounted ( I tend to go for /mnt/usbkey myself )
and /dev/sda1 is the relevant device as displayed by dmesg or lsusb

I have found some kernels - particularly 2.6.10 - to be quite awkward with usb
devices - particularly if you have more usb slots than the standard two. My
own system has 2 round the back as standard, then two more at the front via a
header on the motherboard. Plugging into those sometimes fails to detect the
device at all - other times seems to take a few seconds , and can lock my
system after unmounting - sometimes straight away, other times after a period
of time.
May be my distro at fault - but I have seen the 2.6.10 kernel mentioned before
in relation to usb mounting issues.
Hope this is of use,
Mark