Re: [LUG] Debian Mail server setup

David Johnson wrote:

On Monday 15 August 2005 19:59, Rob Beard wrote:
What I would like to achieve is:

- Download mail from various pop3/imap mail accounts for each user on
the server

I would instinctively suggest fetchmail, although I've never attempted to configure it to use MailDir (but will be doing soon).

- Send mail to my ISP (blueyonder) using standard SMTP,

It doesn't really matter which mail server you choose (Postfix is my choice); when you install your chosen server, Debian will let you choose from several pre-defined configurations including SmartHost, which is what you want. You then just enter BlueYonder's mail server address and off you go.

- Allow users on the network to login to the server ideally using IMAP4
with Thunderbird or *cough* Outlook *cough*.

Dovecot is fantastic. I recently installed it and......that was it. It just worked with no configuration needed other than to enable it to start at boot time. Enabling SSL for IMAP is as simple as changing a single line in a config file - fantastic.

- Allow access to the mail using webmail (something along the lines of
Horde webmail).

I like Squirrelmail - like Dovecot, just install it and it works.

- Virus/spam checking mail (used ClamAV on the SME server box for virus
checking before)

I use amavisd-new, which scans mail using ClamAV and SpamAssassin's spamd. Very efficient if you're handling lots of mail. You do have to go through the very long amavisd.conf to get it all working though...

I'm assuming as a minimum I will need a basic install of Debian 3.1
along with the webserver components and maybe SQL server?

Just do the base install then Debian will install all the dependencies it needs as you install the packages you want.

Regards,
David.

Well I'm doing the install as I type this, I decided to try it out in VMWare before I attempt a complete reinstall of my server.

I don't think I'll get much done apart from a base install tonight (doing net install over t'internet) but I will have a look at the suggestions. Last time I tried it, I managed to get fetchmail to download mail although the only way I could read my mail was going to a shell prompt and running the mail program, I think I did get postfix sending mail okay though.

Rob