Re: [LUG] OT: Preventing electrostatic discharge

Simon Waters wrote:

Robin Cornelius wrote:

Basicly ensure you are connected to ground, a very quick and dirty way of doing this is to touch the PC chassis (when the mains plug is still connected *BUT SWITCHED OFF*, the metal chasis is connected to earth so you will discharge any static.

Minor point, but I doubt having the PC plugged in makes much difference.

"ground" on any modern building is almost certainly connected to a
circuit breaker that trips should any current flow, it is probably only
connected to earth via being wired to neutral behind the circuit breaker.

Read the electricity section of the building regulations. Every electrical
supply has to have a valid earth (ground). Just think of a bathroom shower
without a proper earth. Scary!!

In that sense they are very poor "earths", hence the networking
"purists" (read rich people) recommending optical fibre (or wireless!)
between buildings, rather than wire networking cables.

Probably optical fibre because of the lower impedance and greater bandwidth.

Touching the case equalises the potential between you, and the case (and
hopefully the components), and that should be sufficient to work on them
safely.

Equalising the potential is the important bit. Static usually has a high potential
but a low current. Even this very low current can damage a chip but the current
will only flow where the potentials are unqual.
A Texas engineer once told me that antistatic mats and wrist bands were mainly
used to keep the girls who assembled the componets from moving around and generating a fatal (to the chips) static potential.

Always unplug the computer from the mains. Its the only way you can be sure
you won't get a lethal shock.
I merely roll up my sleeves and rest one arm on a metal part of the chassis. (All
motherboards have quite a large earthing pad(s) which will, at some point, be
grounded to the chassis.) I've used this method for years and never lost a chip.

We should of course test this with a Van de Graf generator, and an old
PC, at the next LUG meeting, because I'm not 100% certain. My experience
is that it is quite hard to damage most PC components through static
(accidently!) but that may just be that the weather is too damp in Devon
to get a really good static build up.

You can build up a potential approaching 30kve (at very low amperage) by
rubbing your hand briskly against your trousers. No jokes please ;-)

Keith