Re: [LUG] OT: Preventing electrostatic discharge

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 10:26, Solfius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into upgrading an older machine and connecting it to my new
> wireless router but I'm wary of starting off because I don't want to fry any
> new or old components. I know at least a few other members build computers,
> so I was wondering how you deal with ESD, particularly storing components
> outside of computer cases: is there any need to put them in things like
> anti-static bags, and if so where could I get them?

Its always advisable to use antistatic protection when dealing with componets,
although myself I am often *very* lazy and just don't bother and I have never
killed a computer component I have killed CMOS chips and FET's before so it
is a very real danger, especialy in nice dry weather.

Basicly ensure you are connected to ground, a very quick and dirty way of
doing this is to touch the PC chassis (when the mains plug is still connected
*BUT SWITCHED OFF*, the metal chasis is connected to earth so you will
discharge any static. Don't lay components out on paper and void materials
like nylon etc. The proper way of doing this is to have an antistatic mat and
a antistatic rist band (connected to earth via a plug). This in most DIY
cases is total over kill but they are not expensive if you want to be really
sure I can tell you where you can buy them.

As for bags, what sizes do you want and how many, I can easly get smaller
component size bags no probs as we chuck loads away all the time, bigger ones
are more difficult as we use these for products but i could an odd one for
anyone who wants one.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx