Re: [LUG] calculating filesystem sizes (slightly off topic)

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:23:39 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to work out how my digital camera displays a
> 512 MB sd card with size of 478 MB after formatting
>
> this gives a difference of 34 MB,  I know there are differences, in
> actual size and formatted size just can't remember how things are
> calculated, can anyone help please.
>
> thanks
>
> Paul

It is, in fact, going to be part-and-parcel of both Jeremy and James' replies.

512 decimal megabytes = 512000000 bytes.
512000000 bytes = 488.28125 binary/computer megabytes.
The difference between 488.28125 and your reported 478 will be down to the
filesystem overheads (FAT16/32) used on the device.

Grant.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.