Re: [LUG] Checking what packages are installed with apt?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:59:16 +0100
Simon Waters wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> >
> > Really quick question for you - is there any way to check what packages
> > have been installed on a system, using apt (or another CLI tool)?
>
> dpkg -l
>
> > So, basically it comes down to this - is there any way to see what
> > packages are currently installed on a system so I can check for
> > left-overs?
>
> You actually want the deborphan package.
>
> See also interesting discussion on the poll for what you use to install
> packages....
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/polls/24
>
> Which covers aptitude and why not to use it ;) (Controversial enough?).

Ok, thanks Simon.  Dpkg was the obvious choice, really.  I just get so used to using
apt that sometimes I forget that it's dpkg underneath doing the important bits!

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.