[LUG] Checking what packages are installed with apt?

Hi all.

Really quick question for you - is there any way to check what packages
have been installed on a system, using apt (or another CLI tool)?  I ask
because I just found an interesting thing just happened...

I did an "apt-get remove courier-base" and it said that it'd remove
courier-webadmin too... now I know that courier-webadmin depends on
apache(2?) on my system because when I did an "apt-get install
courier-webadmin" it said so... now because courier-webadmin depends on
apache, and not the other way around, apache has now been left on my
system.  Nothing else on this machine was using apache, just
courier-webadmin.

So, basically it comes down to this - is there any way to see what
packages are currently installed on a system so I can check for
left-overs?

Cheers.

Grant.