Re: [LUG] Linux PDAs

On Thursday 21 July 2005 7:44 pm, Tom Arrow wrote:
> Hi,
> Just wondering if ever I want to invest in a pda (I would like to but at
> the moment I'm skint). Which PDAs are sold running Linux, what price are
> they and where can I buy one. Just want to know how much I'm looking to
> save up. This PDA would need to run Linux have all the uses of a standard
> PDA. Iv tryed to find out as much about as I can but most sites don't
> understand the search term 'Linux'.
> Thanks

Try searching for Zaurus and Yopy.

Also, if you want something bigger than a PDA but smaller than a laptop, there
is a lot of work on getting Debian to run on a Psion. There are already
prototypes that can run Gnome and Gnumeric. Try looking under embedded
Debian.

Don't forget that Palm are looking at a Linux kernel and their PalmOS5 isn't
that difficult to use on GNU systems due to the excellent pilot-link (!).

My Palm PDA cost under £150 - it's about the cheapest sensible PDA that is
still extendable and reasonably robust.

--

Neil Williams