Re: [LUG] Video Conferencing

Keith Abraham wrote:

Hi all

   Reluctantly I may have to move to Scotland in the near future
and would like to keep in contact with my elderly father (91) in
Plymouth via an visual/audio link. If we could make contact once
or twice a week it would soften the blow of being apart for both
of us.

   I intend to give him a computer with either Linux or Windows
installed which my brother would operate for him. At my end I will
be using Debian.

   Any suggestions regarding visual/audio hardware, software and
configuration would be gratefully received as this project will be
entirely new to me.

Keith

My webcam of choice is a Chicony Twinkle Cam available at "The computer shop"
http://www.thecomputershop.co.uk/

£19.99 by web,but I have had cheaper from a local outlet

The only catch is you need a 2.6.10 kernel or 2.6.12, (2.6.11 went wobbly as far as the driver was concerned) and its unstable with gnomemeeting on certain subversions of kernel. The latest kernel for FC3 kernel (2.6.12) works fine. Considering the price I got it for the quality locally is increadable (but apparently my nose is only one pixel across when Simon uses his ISDN link.

I have used it to conference via Gnomemeeting with people across Europe and have even used it to transmit video all the way to Brazil (all via Gnomemeeting). I did however miss a planned meeting in the Cameroon which was very disapointing. (That was my fault I didnt hear it ring - missed call).

Unfortunately 2.6.8 on Debian is a big no-no as far as this camera / driver is concerned. It just freezes, which is unfortunate because its my last big excuse for sticking with FC3. But most of my other boxes are Debian.

IIRC I did have some fun and games getting Gnomemeeting working because I had to use the latest and greatest version of Gnomemeeting to get V4L2 support. But Im sure I have mentioned how I did it on this group before.

What ever choice you make enjoy your video conferencing its the next best thing to flying !

Tom.