[LUG] mouse goes mad - reports "lost synch"

SuSE 9.2
I don't think the type of mouse is relevant, but it is a cheap optical
one going through a KVM switch.  PS/2

Occasionally it goes mad, and any movement of the mouse (or of another
one that I plug in instead) produces a hail of clicks on the screen,
lots of random activity.

I may be missing something, but what should I expect to close down, kill
or remmod and replace in order to restart the thing from scratch?