[LUG] Suse 9.3 graphical log in

Hi all.

I have recently installed the distro (in the subject line) and it
fedaults to a graphical xdm screen.

Now I have always been a fan of KDM myself and have tried to configure
it using the K control panel and using the suse login control switcher
to no effect. Whatever options I chose I always get the xdm login
screen.

After googling I had pointers to altering /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
and changing DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" to "kdm" which was along the lines of
what I was expecting so I had a look and kdm was already set up in
there.

I restarted the X server,rebooted, tried selecting "gdm" instead & still
no joy.

Oddly; if I did a telinit to level 3 then started gdm manually I got the
gnome login screen and can now reboot and get gdm as selected but If I
try this with kdm it doesn't work.

According to the package manager kdm is installed as part of kdebase and
I have tried a reinstall just to check an an update.

Any ideas ?

Ray.