Re: [LUG] pop servers

Steve Marvell wrote:

> I'm looking for a pop server for linux (Debian) which I can set up to
> have multiple pop accounts for a domain with aliases with a web
> interface.
>
> Does such a system exist out of the box?

There are several around in the ISP sphere - but they may be overkill or
not fit nicely (i.e. not Exim, require LDAP services etc).

> I'll be using exim, spam murdering and virus junking too, but that's
> in hand.
>
> Basically, I want the client to be able to set up a number of aliases
> to a limited number of pop accounts.

Is it just aliases within domain, or do you want them to manage their
own POP account creation within the domain?

Note the aliasing is a feature of the incoming email so it needs to tie
into Exim not the POP server.

> eg.
>
> webmaster, postmaster, root, admin => bob
> info, accounts, sales => jim
> fred => fred
> * => someoneelse
>
> It would be most beneficial to be able to limit the number of
> accounts.
>
> There are, of course, multiple client domains involved.

Most of the POP servers integrate nicely with various backends - I've
done this with Dovecot (which does POP3 as well as IMAP4), and database
backends, where you can pull credential with SQL query straight from the
config files, or straight from PAM. So virtual user support is very easy
in the server.

As for getting the right stuff in the database - i.e. the Admin
interface - I haven't found one to do quite what I want, so was planning
to write one when time permits.

I think you'll find several that will do what you want if you stay
flexible on things like choice of MTA, POP server, price, licence.

I'm struggling to find a complete solution as free software - Postfix
Admin nearly fills what I want but isn't free software (only gratis).
But then so does Hula (which is free software) and a lot of others,
nearly do it. Virtualmin I can't figure out from the online
documentation, may do what you want but I doubt it.

Given the Postfix/Dovecot/Squirrelmail howto I followed, one only need
populate data in about 4 database tables to create a working system like
what you want, I'm concluding the simplest thing is write it myself.