Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS clients?

Grant Sewell wrote:

Hi all.

I have setup a webserver for myself.  I have all the ports forwarded nicely so direct access to my IP:80
will show it (currently just a bog-standard "Apache" page).  I have created a dyndns.org
account, and that works.  Now all I want is to be able to update my dyndns DNS entry when my IP address
changes.  Easy enough, you'd think.  I have 2 routers, and therefore 2 layers of NAT.  One of my routers
is an IPCop box (currently running 1.3.x) which supports dyndns.org's dynamic DNS system... however, it
updates their records with it's own RED address, which doesn't help since that isn't my publicly visible
address.  So, I downloaded "ddclient" (one of dyndns's suggested Linux clients), and I have
set it up to do a webcheck and update periodically.  However, it updates regardless of whether the IP
address has changed or not... and so I was blocked earlier today.

Does anyone know of a dynamic DNS client that supports webchecking and updates only
if the IP has changed, and is preferably written in Perl or a bash script that
doesn't depend on curl of wget?

Cheers.

Grant.

Grant,

ddclient chould only update if the IP has changed. The current IP address should be inddclient.cache.
Have you tried running it in debug mode to see what is going on?

Cheers,

Pete