Re: [LUG] Ultra Sparc 5 seeks keyboard for hours of debian fun

Tom Brough wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in the process of "evaluating" an old Ultra Sparc 5. Unfortunately it does not have the proprietary (9 pin) keyboard that this equipment desires. Instead there is a PC with terminal emulator which feeds through the serial port (very green screen).

I have managed to get the base install of Debian 3.0r? sparc installed on it, the only problem is that I think due to emulation problems when I typed in the root password it got mangled some how because I can't log in for all I try.

Just a couple of questions while you're waiting for a keyboard....

I presume that you get a login : (or somesuch) prompt, and when you type "root", it's echoed to the PC-acting-as-terminal ?

Actually, what I'm getting at is this : back in the days when I supported AIX for a living, many, many people had difficulty with serial terminals. The two major problems were these :

1) the terminal didn't raise DCD, so the box didn't know it was out there. Fixed by setting CLOCAL for that port.

2) the terminal generated 7 bit ASCII when the box expected 8 bit. Everything gets echoed to the terminal, but the box doesn't recognise the CR when you hit <enter>.

Of course, you may be experiencing neither of these....

jd

--

John Daragon                                          john@xxxxxxxxxx
argv[0] limited