Re: [LUG] Unusual activiy...

On Saturday 18 June 2005 10:58 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Just recently my main computer (Debian Sid) has been acting a little bit
> strangely.  About every 3rd day or so, at about 10:30pmish the harddrive
> thrashes like you wouldn't believe

Sounds like logrotate or another maintenance task. Inspect the crontab of the
root user.
# crontab -l

> and bring the machine to an unusably
> slow state for about 10-15 minutes, and then resumes business as normal,

A second box would be the most useful thing. SSH into the main computer from
the second box prior to the activation, then watch a 'top' report.

> but for some reason KDE has lost it's ability to actually manage Windows or
> virtual desktops, so I cannot actually do anything besides reset the X
> session, which is not ideal.

Probably not to be recommended, either. What you need is for this to happen at
another time, rather than be interrupted.

> Incidentally, and I have no idea whether this is related or not but... I
> have noticed that I also seem to have an unusual process running:
> /USR/SBIN/CRON.  Now, I know cron is not unusual, but should it be in upper
> case when shown with "ps auxwww"?

Makes no odds. It's the task cron is running that matters.

--

Neil Williams