Re: [LUG] A few server problems, squirrelamail

On Friday 10 June 2005 17:44, Simon Waters wrote:

> I think the TLS is that some IMAP servers allow plain text logins only
> with TLS (i.e. ensures the passwords are encrypted). It is overkill from
> local machine to local machines (why are you using 192.168.0.3 and not
> 127.0.0.1 if they are on the same machine?).

It started out as 127.0.0.1 but got changed to the LAN's address when
fiddling. I should put it back really.

> CRAM-MD5 needs the CRAM database on UWIMAP according to the Debian
> documentation, YMMV.
>
> Fairly sure my UW-IMAP servers always just accepted "LOGIN" (plain text
> against normal user accounts by default), you can easily test it with
> any good email client (Thunderbird is good choice). Most mail clients
> let you detect supported authentication types now - I think Kmail does
> this nicely as well.

it appears that in Sarge UW-IMAP now blocks "LOGIN" from what i can make
out/google around and security is forced. Which I also thing is overkill and
it would have been nice to have a way to turn this on or off.

> If it is a new IMAP server - always a good time to migrate to dovecot ;)

May be i should have done that, i never looked at it but I assume its a more
fully featured imap server so things like tls can be turned On or OFF at
request?

I only loaded up squirrelmail today as there was a problem accessing pop3 mail
over the VPN. Squirrel is all working now so i can get back to fighting the
real problem.

I have now verified from linux that i can't access the pop3 server via VPN,
infact its a networking issue, ssh also freezes over the vpn. In the past
this was always a MTU issue, but changing that has had no effect this time.

The problem is the main server is also the VPN endpoint, access to other
servers inside the LAN seems fine (better anyway) but NOT directly to the
endpoint.

The VPN is ipsec, native 2.6 stack with openswan package. Any ideas for this
one?

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx