Re: [LUG] School Wiki

> Hi,
>  As some some people know I'm gradually trying to convert my school to Linux/open
> source. So far I have asked for one Linux box and got a while without a disk and a
> lot of excuses about how every computer in the school needed updating (or so it
> seems). Then I was reading a post about having a wiki for school and thought I
> would build one for my school. To save time I thought I would use an old box
> install Apache then PHP 5 and mySQL and mediawiki then put it on a network at home
> give the school its ip get it put on the schools homepage and then wait until the
> technicians want to site it at school.
>  First what do people think of that idea and any improvement suggestions. Secondly
> does any one know where I can get a cheep network card Ethernet cable and a power
> lead for a computer. Lastly does any one have any idea how to set up a server with
> all this stuff on and make it work.
>  Thanks
>
> --
> Tom (the younger)

Hi,

I believe MediaWiki is only compatible with PHP 4.something-recent.
Try a local computer shop for cables - if the manager is as
incompetent as the one at my local shop, he'll not know what to
charge, so you can get them very cheaply indeed. I recommend using
Ubuntu and following the instructions for installing base-system only,
for servers. Making a server work is a long and complicated process
which I have little idea about, sorry. Otherwise, good choice for
mediawiki.

--
~ Ben Goodger (no, NOT the Firefox developer)

~ Please remember to FLOSS daily.
~ www.getfirefox.com