Re: [LUG] detroit school moves to openoffice

This has actually just come up on I think the suse schools group, so I think it may be a popular idea, I wrote back and suggsted that perhaps as the goverment want to give financial help (I think with course fees) to uni students who do volunteer work, they should class working on open source as volunteer work, and get the recognition for this, When the time comes I have volunteered to write to MP's regarding this and suggest it,

Incedently that Idea has also prompted me to write to Mr Darling to suggest that his idea of tracking cars to charge people per mile should look to the oss community for a possible software solution, after all if taxpayers money is to fund this, we should get something that works at the end, plus somehting that can be fixed quickly. and adapted quickly to new technology. I pointed out that Linux has a strong embedded market.

What do people think to this. I also pointed out that this could tie in with the idea of uni students getting help with fees. So If done properly it could save us taxpayers a lot of money.

Paul

I have considered that it may have been a better model to centrally fund selected projects to provide curriculum supporting software under a gpl and/or creative commons license. Thus ensuring that there is a foundation of educational material that would be of benefit to future generations, and freely accessible to all.

Regarding this should be pushing any company who develop browser based applications to make sure they work with ALL browsers and not just IE.
I know the jobcenterplus site falls over on Mozilla, even though I have written to them, I don't think the people on the end of the e-mail address understand the issue, which is all the more reason to opt for OSS, you can talk directly to the devlopers.

Again web based course ware is technology neutral. But if that is not an
option consider one XP server with terminal service connections. This at
least limits your admin to one box. Yes I know it still ties you to
windows but think of it as part of the exit strategy while the rest of
the world catches up with possibilities of gnu/linux.