[LUG] adding a 2nd swap partition

Hi,

Tom asked about this at the meeting, looking up in my RHL6 unleashed, you need to add a 2nd entry to the fstab file

so in their example is.

/dev/hda8 none swap sw 0 0
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0

However from a normal user account you can't edit this with out being root, Under kanotix and KDE I right clicked on /etc/fstab and under actions selected edit as root, and it opened the file with kwrite, it asks for the root password. This is probably better than my suggestion which was to log in as root either graphically or via the console, If you need to edit anything at the console then there are a number of text editors including vi, and emacs, however I don't want to start a editor war so as I use the joe editor.

Now in typing this am I right in thinking that you then type mount -a so Linux re reads the /etc/fstab file and mounts the new swap parition.

on a slightly related note this my output from free

Mem:        774880     498636     276244          0      55932     315444
-/+ buffers/cache:     127260     647620
Swap:       136512          0     136512

Should I have a bigger swap file or does the rule on swap file size v ram size depend on usage?

Paul