Re: [LUG] Whiplash

Neil Stone wrote:

I recently discovered a good way to get whiplash... go from using Gentoo
stage 1 on an AMD K6 II 500, to an Athlon64 3200+ with 1Gb DDR400 dual
channel RAM... what a change...

Do you think that much of the improvement is down to the Dual channel RAM? The reason I ask is that I build machines to run GNU/Linux for number crunching. When working on large arrays the memory speed may be important. Anyone know a way the discover where the bottleneck ocurrs, RAM, CPU, etc. for a given program on a PC running GNU/Linux?

Thanks
Andrew