[LUG] net_dev->type problems

Does anyone know when it is allowed to change the type of a linux network
device (kernel space) by setting the type variable? I want to change it from
ARPHRD_ETHER to ARPHRD_IEEE80211 to signal that my device driver is in RF
Monitor mode, but doing this seems to cause the net device to go crazy and
generate packets of rubbish from thin air.

Looking at other device drivers has told me nothing and googling has not been
sucessful either, so any help welcome!

Thanks :-)

--
Robin Cornelius