Re: [LUG] Debianised my desktop (at last)

On Sunday 15 May 2005 14:46, Neil Williams wrote:
On Saturday 14 May 2005 11:16 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:
I've *finally* debianised my desktop :-)

:-))

If anything things seem faster, certainy kde loads in half the time?

Maybe Mandrake/Mandriva patched it too far? They are/were renowned for their
level of patching.

The level of patching was/is getting silly, just trying to keep up to date
with cooker could mean 600Mb+ downloads per week and most of the changes were
minor version increment on packages.

But it was nice just how many things did run out of the box, there are quite a
lot of nice ideas and stuff in there and i think for a beginner its a
reasonable staring point. But you could argue learn good habits from the
start :-)

I'm currenly on testing but i am considering experimental. what do you lot
run?

Unstable.

I have survived on mandrake cooker for the past year and that is an
experimantal distro.

IIRC, the problem with experimental is that the repositories are not
necessarily synchronised or fully referenced.

"New software which isn't likely to damage your system can go directly into
unstable."

I think i got my self confused between unstable and experimental.

I'd recommend unstable - most usable packages are first uploaded to
unstable.

I think i might apt-get upgrade to there soon.

I am having one annoying issue with sarge at the moment. My speedtouch modem!,
i knew it was going to well. It all worked perfectly under sarge 2.4 kernel,
i switch to the sarge 2.6.8 and it dosn't work anymore. It appears that the
hotplug script is to blame. Hotplug is running the modem script 3 times on
2.6 while on 2.4 it ran it just the once and it looks like modem_run/the
modem has a tantrum if two instances try to upload firmware at the same time.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx