Re: [LUG] Problems with APT...

On Saturday 14 May 2005 4:58 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
I can guarantee that there is nothing on my side of the WAN connection that
is playing-up, and when I have taken the lappy into College, I also get the
same problems from time-to-time with their ADSL line.

That's going to be a busy connection though, isn't it?

My setup has not
changed at all in recent months yet each system has recurrently failed to
retrieve package lists or individual deb files when upgrading.  Obviously I
cannot say whether my ISP has changed their setup or not.

My setup hasn't changed in years and I've never had two consecutive apt
failures, using the same mirrors as you. There's no point going round in
circles, your problems are not reproducible so the likelihood is that the
problem is not on the Debian servers / mirrors but somewhere between your
hard disc and the Debian mirror.

In the days of dial-up it was trivial to identify ISP problems because
everyone had so many different accounts. With broadband, it's almost
impossible to pin down problems because users are extremely unlikely to have
two simultaneous accounts with different broadband ISP's.

Unfortunately I tend to be in bed, asleep, when my ISP's systems are
quietest and so I generally turn off the computers (none of them are
Internet visible servers, so I have no need to 24/7 uptime... with the
exception of my IPCop box, which isn't Debianised anyway)... I'm not sure
it would be worth bothering leaving my machines on overnight purely so that
they can update/upgrade on their own.

What times are you trying to run it now? Evenings are always the worst - maybe
you'll get decent results running it during the working day - before the
schoolkids get home.

Alternatively, change your ISP - I can run apt whenever I need to and I don't
get problems with timing.

What about changing your apt config to use FTP instead of HTTP? Maybe there's
some cache or proxy messing up the results at the ISP?

--

Neil Williams