Re: [LUG] How to make NFS shares RW?

On Sat, 7 May 2005 19:32:18 +0100
Grant Sewell wrote:

Hi all,

Slight problem here revolving around NFS.  I have almost setup my Mac to dual-boot
MacOS (currently 8.6, but hoping to go up to 9.1 soon) and Debian.  I am hoping to
use BootX to do the deeds of OS selecting since YaBoot won't work on this variety
of Mac (too old), and QUIK has been a right-royal pain previously (apparently this
particular Mac has a very dodgy OpenFirmware (a bit like a BIOS).  However, in
order to use BootX I need a kernel stored on the Mac's filesysten.

Now, I have downloaded the "linux.bin" file for the Debian installer, which has
allowed me to boot the system using BootX after the base-system was installed.  My
problem is what to do after I update from Stable?  What I was planning on doing
was booting the system with the old kernel, updating the system, mounting an NFS
share and copying the new kernel over the network, rebooting back to MacOS and
then copying the file over NFS (or, more likely, I'll burn it to CD so I can use
it on the Mac... still having problems with NFS under MacOS) to the Mac so I can
place in in the appropriate place for BootX to see it, and then all will be hunky
dory.

However... even though I have:
home/gsewell/files/  (rw)
in my /etc/exports file, I still can't get RW access from *any* machine.  This
makes it quite hard to copy a file off the Mac(Debian) onto the x86 machine.

I know it's bound to be something *really* simple that I've just completely missed
(I tend to set up the NFS exports with Webmin because I'm lazy).

Any thoughts?

Grant.

OK, got it sorted now.  It was a silly mistake - without listing any network, group
or individual host a share will be RO by default, yes?  So I put in my network+mask
and all is now well.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.