Re: [LUG] Will your business and livelihood be affected by software patents?

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 20:12, Aaron Trevena wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm writing to highlight the need for you to add your voice and
support to the campaign against software patents and the european
council's Computer Implemented Invention directive.

You are probably wondering how it affects you, well..

If you use linux it will affect you as
- MS Office document formats are patented

We choose to use openoffice at work because we object to the price of MS
office, may people we deal with send word documents and this would effect us
too. We choose to use firefox and thunderbird as well for various reasons,
the fact is *we choose* for what ever reason and this choice would be taken
away from us.

We also *choose* to mix a linux server in with this sytem. But we would have
to pay *the server tax* if patents got there way. There is *no* way we could
afford MS Server, and SQL server and Exchange and all the other rubbish that
is needed to do a *BASIC* job of serving emails and files.

And it goes beyond just linux..

All software will cost more as patent searching and legal costs push
up the cost of developing and supporting software. Microsoft spends
100's of millions a year on patent litigation alone, and patent
litigation is already sucking millions out of the UK economy through
litigation before you even consider the impact on business growth and
innovation.

It could flatten us, don't think its just *big* OS's like linux and windows in
this mess. I write z80 firmware code, its software. its in the danger!. How
many small businesses are involved in some form of software writing or
another, PLC code, firmware?

Patents do NOTHING to protect software writers and/or small/medium sized
businesses. The ONLY people who will benifit are large coorporations. I think
it was all summed up at the Cardiff patent workshop, when asked who did NOT
want software patents EVERYONE who wrote/developed software for a living said
they DID NOT want patents, the only person who wanted them was (to the best
of my memory) a patent lawer!

You can do something about this - you can lobby your MP, particularly
if you are in a marginal seat (of which there are a couple in the
south west), you can lobby your MEP, as they need to support and
reinstate the proposed from M Rocard and the FFII. Finally you can
(and this is the easy bit) can sign up at
http://swpat.ffii.org/group/todo/index.en.html and#
http://www.economic-majority.com/.

With a new bunch of MP's a *good* time for a whole new round of letter writing
and complaining to your (possibly new) MP.

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx