Re: Virus[es] (was Re: [LUG] Virus scanners??)

It appears that, in Latin, virus has no plural.  But we have borrowed it
into English, and there it doesn't mean quite the same thing as it did in
Latin.  So we find that /in English/, but not in Latin, we need a plural
for it; and as it has become an English word by borrowing, we should form
its plural in the English way.  Viruses.  (And **** them all, and thank
Jupiter, Juno and Minerva that we use Linux.)

--
John Palmer
Preston near Weymouth, Dorset, England