Re: [LUG] Virus scanners??

Grant Sewell wrote:

Yeah, there are actually quite a few.  My favourite one is ClamAV.

Grant.

There's one advertised every time I install Mandrake ... Dr.Web. Russian website IIRC. To add to Ben's comments though, IMHO there is one very good reason not many (if any) virii get written for Linux.

Windows users by and large (and yes I am generalising here) know less about the computer and networking and how everything works than the average Linux user. Ergo if someone writes a virus for a Windows box, the average user isn't going to know how to combat it other than just remove it. However with Linux there is a higher degree of expertise (generally) and therefore the likelihood of the virus writer / hacker getting something nasty back is higher.

Simplest analogy is of a school playground bully. He's going to pick on the first year kids smaller than himself, not the final year students who belong to the school judo team, who would probably hand him his teeth in a hat.

The other reason (yes OK... "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" etc) is that quite simply Windows gives MUCH more opportunity for it, being essentially a collection of bugs (sorry "features") joined together by annotation and the occasional (and probably accidental) bit of code that actually does what the programmer intended.

Kind regards,

Julian