Re: [LUG] Fedora 2

On Saturday 09 April 2005 3:59 pm, jody salt wrote:
Hi everyone,

Been a long time since I've used this list. Just a few
questions:

1. Am I right in thinking fedora 2 is the equivilent
of redhat 10 (but without the support)

Fedora is the community version of RedHat, it's RH's way of splitting the
"enterprise" support and the "community" openness. Enterprises appreciate a
platform with support and few changes. Home users and a lot of the wider
GNU / Free software community appreciate the rapid development and DIY
support. Horses for courses.

2. What are your thoughts on using fedora for a
commercial website?

?? It's Debian all the way!! I'm in the process right now of migrating from a
Fedora virtual server to a Debian real server. Fedora is a PITA to use for
development compared to Debian.

baring in mind I only want to use
apache, mysql (locally) and ssh.

You really are spoilt for choice. There's nothing wrong with Fedora for those
needs. Debian, SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware, Gentoo, almost anything will do
that job. Personally, I see more sites running Debian or Fedora but that's
just the ones I've seen.

(Note the new home page - http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/ )

--

Neil Williams