Re: [LUG] AMD64

I am running SuSE 9.1 on a AMD64 with no problem, full 64bit linux.

Hope that helps

Darren Ward

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 12:22, Martin White wrote:
Hi people,

Is anyone else here using an amd64 based machine?

I'm running into some severe issues with my Gentoo install. In a nutshell a
recent update managed to break something and the more i try to do to resolve
it the more i run into trouble and the worse it gets.

Whilst the forums have quite a number of people citing that they've been usng
Gentoo on amd64 for X months without issue, that's certainly not the global
case and the more i dig the more i think that gentoo on amd64 is NOT ready
for the big time yet. The kinds of problems i'm seeing in the forums are
serious problems with compilers and such, not trivial things.

Anyway, so i started looking about for alternatives but on most it's quite
unclear the state of play of the 64bit versions.

I've never liked RH (now Fedora of course). Mandrake is out since i'm not
prepared to live with the rubbish you get after shelling out €120 for a
subscription. Just check their forums and see how many unhappy people are
leaving in droves!

So i looked to SUSE, the other one i was VERY impressed with on the "just
works" front.

Does anyone know the state of play with the upcoming 9.3? It says "supports 64
bit processors" but doesn't explicitly say whether you get a native 64bit
version in the box or whether, just like XP the whole thing runs in 32 bit
mode.

One of the reasons for choosing gentoo was getting speed optimised packages
because they were built to my specs. This works very well on my server and i
don't plan to change it, but i'm guessing with amd64 this is negated a bit
since as long as it's native 64bit (as much as possible) then it WILL be
optimised for the processor anyway since there's no historical 386, 486, etc
to support (if you see what i mean!).

Any other 64bit recommendations or thoughts?

Martin.